Welcome to the Confucius Institute at QUT, the first to be established in Queensland.
The QUT Confucius Institute is a not for profit educational institution, focusing on Chinese language teaching and Chinese cultural promotion. The fundamental function of the Confucius Institute at QUT is to promote Chinese language teaching in Australia.
The Confucius Institute is an important strategic development for QUT. It will provide excellence in learning and research and will build on QUT's high standing and real world orientation in the delivery of educational services for individuals and organisations who have an interest in Chinese language and culture. It will deepen our engagement with China, particularly in education and act as a focus for the range of teaching and research activities that exist across QUT.
Our partner in the Institute is the Jiangsu Education Department, with whom we have been working for more than five years in the offering of educational services in Australia.
In June 2008 QUT signed an agreement with the Chinese Ministry of Education to deliver a range of courses and services to develop and foster the teaching of the Chinese language and culture in Qld. Since that time the following progress has been made:
- A suitable space has been secured at QUT's Kelvin Grove campus, closely connected to the current links between JED and the Faculty of Education.
- The Board overseeing the Institute has had its first meeting. This Board comprises QUT senior staff and Jiangsu Education Commission senior staff. An implementation program has been developed and the business plan for 2009 is being jointly developed.
- The Institute will initially focus on the development of Chinese language teachers' skills in the state of Queensland. The partners for this work will be the Education Department of the Queensland Government and the Independent Schools Association, Queensland. Both organisations are very supportive of the program and ongoing meetings are being held with them to shape the 2009 program.
- Additional programs focussing on Chinese for professional groups (e.g. businesses, health workers, engineers etc) and specialised short course programs will be developed to compliment QUT's other degrees and customised activities in China.
- Architectural plans have been agreed to for the refurbishment of the dedicated space at Kelvin Grove. Facilities Management aim to appoint a contractor by mid November. Construction is due for completion end of January /early February 2009.
- Ongoing meetings with key personnel in the state are being held to promote the work of the Institute eg with the President of Chinese teachers Association
- Arrangements have been made for the Director and other senior staff from QUT to attend the Confucius Institute meetings and conference in Beijing in December, 2008.
- Books and materials to be provided by Hanban have now been selected and an order has been be placed (approximately 2500 items).
- Official opening is currently planned for late Feb/early March 2009. Key milestones to achieve this include:
- Physical space secured and refurbishment completed
- 'Friends of Confucius' network launch
- Invitations to key stakeholders issued
Professor Bob Elliot
Phone: +61 7 3138 3224
Mobile: +61 (0) 414 643 224
Phone: +61 7 3138 0385
Queensland University of Technology
Room 103, Level 1, B Block
Kelvin Grove campus
Victoria Park Road,
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059
Phone +61 7 3138 3224
Map of QUT Kelvin Grove